Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eco-Friendly Homes in 2030

As a final project for my U.S. History class, we were assigned to make a prediction on what something of our choice would be like in the year 2030 based on previous trends. Of course, I chose to go with a project that involved interior design. I decided to go with an eco-friendly theme, and worked from there.


My main creative part for the project was to design a room based on all eco-friendly products. Honestly, I had a blast putting it together and wouldn't consider it to be a difficult project at all.

The first thing I did was find websites and products that focused on being eco-friendly. Then, I put what I liked together into a mood board.


The starting points of the room were the paint color, which was "Oyster Shell" from Olympics line of paint with no VOCs, and the bamboo flooring which is an eco friendly product. Then, I gathered some of the main focal pieces in the room, including these armchairs, this bamboo console table, this coffee table (made from old wood that had been used for railroads, which I thought was awesome), and this bookshelf. From there, I gathered accessories such as fabric for curtains, wall art, a side table, a lamp, cool lighting, pillows, and this neat-o rug made from scrap leather.

Looking at these products was definitely a shocker... everything was super expensive! The total for everything? A whopping $13,358.95!!!! Hopefully these prices will go down based on high demand by 2030.

After some time procrastinating, I decided to make a sketch of what I wanted the room to look like:


Once that was done, I drew the whole thing again onto some poster board.



I knew I had to find colored pencils that would nicely match the colors of the furniture and accessories, so I blended different pencils together to find the colors I needed to match everything. Then, I simply labeled them all so that I knew what colors went where... that was I wasn't all crazy confused later on!



It was off to work I went and colored everything in!





After procrastinating a while longer (I found out the due date was extended), I finally put this bad boy together. This was pretty much my first room design EVER, so I wanted it to look like what real professionals make their presentations look like... I at least tried.


I printed out pictures of the individual products along with descriptions on how they're eco-friendly, as well as the mood board and drawing of the room layout. I spent about an hour just trying to figure out what went where and how I could arrange everything. I ended up taking half of a second poster and attaching it to the original one so that there was enough room for everything.




Not only did I have to make this poster, but I also wrote a 4 page report on how eco-friendly awareness is impacting design as well as society. However, most of that was filled with quotes that other people said... typical lazy thing to do, I know. All in all, I'm really proud of the turn out- I just wish it could be created into a real room! As far as the grade went, I got an A!! So I guess all of my "hard" work paid off....


This project helped boost me into creating more mood boards (for other people to use!), so I will be updating on that in the near future.


-Rachel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment