Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fresh Coat

This here is a project I did months ago, but have procrastinated on posting about. It's taken me WAY too long to share this project that I'm super proud of, so here it is:

Over 4 years ago, on a wonderful trip to Ikea, I decided to pick up one of these little drawer systems (the one in the middle). It was only fifth grade, and I decided it would be best used as drawers for my Build-A-Bear clothes (I had a whole area in my room set up for my build-a-bears; I was setting up room designs pretty early...even if it were for bears...). I felt like it needed to be painted to match the decor of the bear's room, so I decided on a purple. What purple may you ask?... BARNEY PURPLE. I know, not one of my proudest moments. After switching bedrooms and updating my room decor, this sucker stuck out like a sour thumb (no pun intended). Looking at this darn thing was really starting to bug me. So I had a master plan...FINALLY PAINT IT!






I wanted to do a cool design on it to make it a little more hip so I decided to do tree branches stretching across it. My first plan was to sketch it all out and get a feel for what I wanted it to look like. Then I went right to painting!




When painting, I sorta tried to follow the sketch I had made, but after a while, I sorta did it free handed. I first painted the fronts of the drawers with a coat of black paint, then did the branches in white. After that, I went and painted the base of the drawers black. I'm not the best painter in the world, but I'm super proud of the results. It has a natural look to it that I like and it shows that it was done by hand. So here's the official before & after picture...




I have to say, I absolutely love the turn out of it. Now, I have re-invented the function of it as well. For a while it was used as a jewelry/make-up system, but I switched that stuff out for my school journals, random papers, mail, and old receipts. It now sits on my bookcase and I love the way it looks sitting there.






So there you have it: that's my little project I completed a while back. Hopefully I will be repainting something again soon...so much fun!


-Rachel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment